Friday, January 23, 2015

Are We Living In a Post-PC Era?

I read an article this week on Yahoo! today that really caught my attention. In summary, the article suggested the end of a PC dominated community due to new and emerging technologies such as tablets and smart phones. I think this is an issue that has been around since the emergence of the iPhone, but I'm not sure it holds as much weight as the article suggests...

photo of a personal computer (pc)

Are we really likely to give up our desktops and PC's?

I started to really think about this once I skimmed this article. Yes, iPhone and tablet sales have been steadily rising in the past few years. So has the development of Apps that are not compatible on common PC's, but what about everything else we do? I think we still use PC's as an anchor to work out from.

Think about all of your devices your phone, tablet, laptop, personal computer, etc. They all serve different purposes and you use / work with them in different ways. I know I like to have emails sent to my phone, but I would much rather respond to them on my laptop. I also don't like viewing Microsoft documents solely on my iPad, but I use my iPad everyday for news catchup and music. Each device does something better than the others and I'm not sure there is going to be as much replacing as some of the experts think.

I could be missing a huge technological trend, however, I predict that smart phone and tablet sales will continue to increase as we continue to use more and more devices in our personal and work life, but PC's will remain to be the most productive tool on your desk.




You can connect with me on....



No comments:

Post a Comment